G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASCAR G3's

+11
dynchel
77mali
Oldschool454
driveit
BK-75
Limey SE
JB2wheeler
dragons_lair59
1973 454 MONTE
ant7377
LSANTI76
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

NASCAR G3's - Page 3 Empty Re: NASCAR G3's

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 am

Probably because G3's can still be had for cheap, are easy to work on, and are all steel.  The further you get into the 80's and 90's, the more plastic there is, and that ain't gonna hold up when you're rubbin'.

That said, I agree -- it makes me sad, because they won't have a good end.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:30 am

I agree as well...sad to still those on the small track. I am originally from Nashville , TN and grew up there. My dad would take my brother and me to the track ( Formerly Nashville Speedway . Now...Fairgounds Speedway) on Saturday night.
Its claim at the time was to be the fastest 5/8ths mile high bank track in the nation. Use to be part of the Winston series....back in the day! Many 400 milers there on the circuit. Grandstands would be full. I recall seeing Darrel Waltrip getting this start there and competing with others popular at that time.
Anyhow , they still run a short program there on Saturday night with what is called Street Modified division. Many G3s are run there today! From what little I know for this division , and the G3 popularity , our cars motors can be set back approx. 3" with little modification to much else and it greatly changes the dynamics in handling for circle track use. Not to mention , the points that have been made by "thatfnthing". Not much cash outlay and the veterans still at the track giving pointers. A "almost" cheap racing experience for those wanting to play race car driver.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:58 pm

impalamonte, I used to go to the Nashville track occasionally from 1963 to 1974. This is not a G-3, but it is my Uncle Raymond with his Sterling 500 winning car at Nashville. I am guessing about 1965-66. NASCAR G3's - Page 3 <a href=NASCAR G3's - Page 3 1_j-4_10" />
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I believe this was the preliminary race, because his big trophy was 3 feet tall or so. I'm from Owensboro originally, and Raymond along with Charlie Greenwell, The Green Brothers, The Falloways, and later Darrell and Mikey Waltrip were all in my neighborhood in the sixties. Usually racing at Ellis speedway or Ky Motor Speedway, but we went to Nashville sometimes and also to Greenville and Charlotte.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:06 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Probably because G3's can still be had for cheap, are easy to work on, and are all steel.  The further you get into the 80's and 90's, the more plastic there is, and that ain't gonna hold up when you're rubbin'.

That said, I agree -- it makes me sad, because they won't have a good end.

This ... precisely.

Plus, G3s were so much more numerous in the 1st place, what with multiple versions for nearly every GM division.

Cort Smile www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"If by chance you are ever this way look me up" __ John Anderson __ 'Down in Tennessee'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3