G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild..

+4
pila
wbaker01
Hillbilly
clanceman427
8 posters

Go down

Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild.. Empty Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild..

Post by wbaker01 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:59 am

While the car is torn down, I need to rebuild the front suspension..One question I have is that I have heard it is better to not rebuild the front suspension with the engine/trans out of the car since the weight helps with reassembly BUT since I am painting/cleaning/etc. (and the engine/trans are out of the car) it sure would be nice to have the control arms off, etc. for a better cleaning/painting result..

I have seen videos that contradict needing having the engine/trans in for weight purposes and then others saying that the weight is absolutely needed..

Anyone care to share the real scoop on this and what you have experienced?

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild.. Empty Re: Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild..

Post by clanceman427 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:23 am

I own an internal spring compressor so its never an issue. I wouldn't rely on backyard methods when you're dealing with a potentially deadly projectile. Auto parts stores these days loan tools like this out for free. My advice do it the right way with an internal spring compressor.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild.. Empty Re: Is it possible? Front suspension rebuild..

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:31 am

Absolutely !! I rebuilt my whole chassis with nothing on it.  I dont see any issue rebuilding the front end with no engine and trans.  But just remember, only get the control arm attachment bolts close and not snugged down.  Then when everything is assembled, bumpers, nose, whatever, bounce the front end a few times so it finds a position it likes.  Then climb under and torque the control arm attachment bolts to spec.  No issues at all.

I think Ant7377 will chime in about torquing the bolts with no weight on them.

And yes an internal spring compressor will work great.  But I had my frame on a lift.  I bolted on the upper and lower control arms.  I let the lower arm hang vertically.  I took the bolt out of my internal compressor, added a big washer to it and dropped it from top down through the shock hole.  Put the spring up into the frame and used only the lower threaded part of the spring compressor on the threads of the bolt.  I sucked the spring up into the frame pocket, swung the arm into place, spring needed to be tapped like a half inch towards the engine (but no engine in car) and tighten up the lower ball joint.  Worked like a charm with only a slight scuff on the lower arm.  Little touch up and done.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 am

Also, if you haven't purchased loer control arm bushings yet there are 2 different sizes used in 73. Check your diameter to get the right ones.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillbilly Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 am

The only thing to consider is with a rubber bushings don't pivot and the center actually is held and the bushing twists between the inner and outer surfaces. After all the weight is back in the car and it is on the ground I would loosen and retorque all the nuts/bolts so the center is at 0 twist at ride height. If you are using poly or other style bushings, I wouldn't worry.

Hillbilly
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for the advice..the front suspension on the car is original to the best of my knowledge (ball joints have rivets, control arm bushing are chunking away, etc.) It really needs a good rebuild! I'm not a real expert in this area and I have spring compressors, etc. but it would seem as though with the front suspension off, the frame cleaning/detailing would be much easier..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:42 am

The poly bushings on my Elco are squeaking like crazy. I would not use them again. The supplied grease for them didn't keep them from groaning ! scratch

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:17 pm

superlube with Teflon is what I use and no sqweeks. Get the small toothpaste like tube on eBay.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Also dont buy the cheapest bushings on the market rubber or othervise. I bought rubber bushings from opgi and rebuild my suspension all over. Ive had a hell of a time making them stop sqeaking. I had to replace most of the bushings to make it stop. Most of the rubber was already bad again, all dried out and also to ones in the front top a arms where was to small, so the shaft was not making contact with the bushing sleaves. So the bushings was twisting on the shaft making it squeak like crazy. I bought new moog bushings and you could easy see the difference in quality.

Just a heads up, since it is no fun taking the front suspension apart again to change stuff already changed once. It is not that much more money to buy the good quality over the bad. That goes for most of the parts ive used, the cheapest is usually crap, and usually dosent last long, If it fits at all. The worst are the cheap china made crome brackets, termostat housings and pullys. They fit poorly and they get rust pits first time you take the car out. So im done buying cheap parts.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:13 pm

I bought and installed all Moog rubber parts for all suspension - no sqeak at all
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:56 pm

I use anti-seize mixed with that poly lube and don't have problems.... I love polyurethane bushings.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down