G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another new guy here

+9
Dinomyte
driveit
1973 454 MONTE
pila
BK-75
Wallyuph
magic marouke
JB2wheeler
thatfnthing
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Another new guy here - Page 3 Empty Re: Another new guy here

Post by 1973montec Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:16 am

lookin good

whats that hose for thats near the a-arm and ends at the ex-manifold?
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 am

That is the vacuum coming off the brake booster..probably gonna do all the vacuum lines over when I put the carb on. I just have the old carb sitting on there to see how close the throttle linkage I rigged up would work but I can't really do much till I get my new carb.
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 am

Finally got a carb on it. The carb I ordered on November 7th was on back order..was supposed to be 6 to 8 weeks. Last week I gave up on it and cancelled it..Stupid waste of time trying to save 50 bucks..I'm not driving the car in winter but still I wanted to get it going so I bought a carb off ebay instead. Put it on today..it runs but needs some timing adjustment when I can run it outside..tried running inside with door open but dang smoke alarms were going off so I shut it down. I just need Summer to get here. The air cleaner base I had wouldnt fit anymore so I have one on from a mopar under there till I can get out and find something else. Another new guy here - Page 3 Image-19
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:28 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything about my old Malibu. Last summer was great..really enjoyed cruising around with it. The rearend started leaking from the pinion area but I kept on driving it and added some fluid now and then to make sure it wasn't empty. I just pulled it out and put in a different one..I went with 2.73 gears this time because I figure with the gas prices where they are I'm gonna drive it to work more than last year..it's 75 miles round trip...I cut half a coil out of the springs while I was at it to lower it a bit. Anyway..I can't wait to get out and drive it this spring. Have a nice day everybody.Another new guy here - Page 3 Image_6
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Another new guy here - Page 3 Image_7
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Nice to hear from you.  How did you cut rear coils?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:02 pm

I measured both and wrapped a piece of masking tape around it and cut along the edge of the tape with a cut off wheel on my die grinder. Works good doesn't get hot at all if you take your time. Have a good one

Last edited by Colonnade Mattie on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

Dont your rear springs have pig tails on each end? The pig tails center the spring on the axle perch and on the upper crossmember.

Front springs dont have pig tails.

Just wondering?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:56 am

The springs are tangential so yeah they have pig tail ends..they aren't flat on the ends..I wouldn't cut flat springs like you find on the front. The end that sits on the rear is pretty flat..I wouldn't cut that end to lower a car but I did have to cut that end a little the first time I swapped rears in that car to get the spring to fit the perch. I only cut off about two inches and did it at an angle so it sat on the rear nice. When I cut the tops on springs I always kinda eyeball what I think will be the best place to have it sit somewhat flat in the cup area above and just go for it. The main thing I think is important is to do the exact same thing on both sides so the car doesn't end up sitting crooked. I'm really not very skilled and probably don't recommend cutting coils I guess but I've done it on quite a few cars and haven't had problems so far..oops feel like I just jinxed myself..lol
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: