G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

+21
Joe73
Dinomyte
thatfnthing
jerry46765
switchbiker
Wallyuph
JB2wheeler
pila
Limey SE
Oldschool454
LS_Quest
Tom77
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
chevellelaguna
Pontichev327
ant7377
lownslow75
LSANTI76
BK-75
Brainstain
25 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by thatfnthing Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 pm

It's actually from a 95 Blazer, but the Bravada and Blazer are the same vehicle, so the unit's the same.  I just recovered it in black vinyl to match the rest of the interior (it originally had grey cloth).

I found the wiring diagram, but I added a keyless entry module and an auto-dimming mirror to mine, so I have to clean up the diagram to drop those so you don't freak out when you see 50 wires coming out of it. Smile

PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: Driveit's day dreaming and build thread.

Post by pila Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:31 pm

That does look cool ! Very Happy I guess I had not paid any attention to the over-head consoles before......

Wiring doesn't need to be a hassle, if time is taken to sort it out. study Routing it has to be done in a manner to protect the wiring of course...
The good thing about the G3 headliners is the plastic clip strips, which should be easier to deal with than the old metal bows etc on older cars, when cutting it to install the console.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:18 pm

I currently have, no headliner at all. I have another car with one, but it has a tear in it. I was thinking of going with something a little more modern looking for the headliner. I want it to have the same feel as the rest of the car though.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:27 pm

pila wrote:The good thing about the G3 headliners is the plastic clip strips, which should be easier to deal with than the old metal bows etc on older cars, when cutting it to install the console.

I only had to cut the cloth; there was no messing with any of the plastic clip strips at all. I have a substantial number of wires, though, so I inserted a piece of cardboard the same width as one section of the headliner to keep the wires pinned up against the roof and not bulging against the liner.  It all runs right to the driver's B pillar from the neighborhood of the rear map lights in the photo.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:52 pm

It looks really nice, do you have any more pics of it?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 am

Got the rear breaks finished today.  We worked on them yesterday evening.  Had to replace a line too.  I will get the other one maybe next week or so.  Oreilly gve my the wrong shoes and I had to make another trip to town.  HATE it when I have to go that.  Rained on us the whole time.  We borrowed a canopy to work under.

Here are a few pics.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2010
Old Drum.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2011
New Drum.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2012
Painted.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2013
Nas T...

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2015
I despise Drum brakes now for the record. Can't wait for discs on the rear.

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2016
Done!

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_2017
You can kinda see the new line, springs and shocks in this one.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

driveit wrote:It looks really nice, do you have any more pics of it?

Thanks. No photos of it apart, if that's what you're asking. Didn't think to take any at the time, and it's kind of a PITA to take out and put back now. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 am

Where did all that mess come from? How did the axle seal look? All that oil has to be either your wheel cylinder is leaking or the axle seal is leaking. The line wouldn't have caused that mess.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:42 am

Bad wheel cylinders. Both were leaking.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:44 am

thatfnthing wrote:
driveit wrote:It looks really nice, do you have any more pics of it?

Thanks.  No photos of it apart, if that's what you're asking.  Didn't think to take any at the time, and it's kind of a PITA to take out and put back now. Smile

Was just wondering if you had any other photos of it installed at different angles. I just wanted to get a better idea of how it would look in the car.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:47 am

Okay then, the only other shot I have is from the other side:

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Consol11
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 am

That looks amazing in there. Thanks for the diagram!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

driveit wrote:I currently have, no headliner at all.  I have another car with one, but it has a tear in it.  I was thinking of going with something a little more modern looking for the headliner.  I want it to have the same feel as the rest of the car though[size=32]Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Upinsmoke_zpsvvvctctt[/size]
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:26 pm

lol!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Just a little razzing about the interior.  You HAVE seen Up in smoke haven't you?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

don't think so. Maybe when I was a kid. I remember my some of my family watching it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Cheech & Chong  up in smoke: https://youtu.be/ljfdg3mPcvY
Here watch this...
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 pm

will have to tonight, can't watch vids at work.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Ok, so last week I rewired my stereo and got it to where I do not loose the memory every time I turn the key off. I had to leave the car sitting since Wednesday of last week until Sunday. I go to get in the car and the battery was dead! The battery is only about a year old. It is hard for me to believe that the stereo is pulling that much power. Any tips?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Can you post up your wiring diagram for the radio?? There should be 2 wires that need power. One is usually red and goes to power when the key is on. The other is usually yellow and goes to constant power (always hot regardless of the key position).
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 pm

That sounds right. I tested it with a test light. I don't have a diagram really. I just got down there with a light and found the terminal that had power with the key off and attached the wire for the memory to it. The other one only turns on when the key is on. They appear to be wired correctly.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:19 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Piece of cake (relatively).  Both Wally and I have these installed in ours.  Wiring's pretty easy, I can dig up my diagram if you want it.  IIRC in addition to the dome power and ground you already have, you'll be needing:

o  two wires for temp sensor (if it has the outside air temp option)
o  a power feed for the map lights and display (separate from dome feed, but uses the same ground)
o  a feed from your parking light circuit so it knows to dim the display when you turn the lights on

Mounting will have three bolts: one in front that goes directly (at least in mine) to a hole already in the front roof rail of the car (I think it was for the moon roof option), and two directly above the dome light, for which you'll need to fashion a T-shaped bracket to attach to your existing dome light mount.

The scary part will be slicing open your headliner! Smile

Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Consol10

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/400]Driveit's day dreaming and build thread. - Page 8 Img_7121 Yes here is mine. I painted it and wraped the sides with suede to match headliner.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 pm

I didn't know yours was the same kind Wally. I love that look. Does it give you a little more storage and light in there at night?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 pm

It sure will draw your battery down. My clock would always run my battery down after a while not driven, I put a Battery Tender on and no more problem. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next