G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray?

3 posters

Go down

Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray? Empty Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray?

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:42 pm

The battery on my car went dead today.  It was just over 10 years old, so not a bad run.  I currently have a group 35/75 dual post battery.  Will a Group 78 battery fit the stock batter tray?  It looks like the tray has extra space. There is a lot more selection for Group 78 batteries and I can get a bit more power.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray? Empty Re: Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray?

Post by S3TPI Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:47 am

I put the bigger battery in my car. It fits the tray fine, but you have to loosen the fender brace to get it in or out.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray? Empty Re: Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray?

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:32 pm

You don't happen to know it it's a group 78? It should say on the battery. I pulled the old Group 75 battery and it looks like a Group 78 will fit as the battery tray is roughly 10.5" wide, vs 10.25" for a Group 78 battery. I am going to try and stop at Costco and pick one up tomorrow.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:48 pm

I believe it is a 78. I'll go take a look to be sure.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:40 pm

Battery - Will Group 78 fit stock batter tray? Batter10
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

jpowen49 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:41 pm

Sorry it's upside down. But, you can see what it is.
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:10 pm

Perfect. That is a group 78. I should be good then. Thank you very much!
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by S3TPI Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:30 am

No problem!
S3TPI
S3TPI
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:09 am

There are only a couple sizes of side post batteries made and any of them will fit our cars. Originally they all had the larger case size but over the years they started making the batteries smaller for more universal fit. I agree that you will have to move the fender brace to get the larger one in but it will definitely fit.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down