G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello 73-77 owners

+14
Malicruiser
Limey SE
badtemper44
The Dude
IndyG3
Roadcaptain S3
pila
BlackChevelleSS
Laguna Budman
Bill's 74
HDHugger
lars
JB2wheeler
74MonteCarlo
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hello 73-77 owners Empty hello 73-77 owners

Post by alleyball4 Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:27 pm

It is awesome to know I am not alone out here. I bought a 73 Chevelle, and ran into dead-ends on parts and information on so many things ! I got so sick of hearing the phrase, "I'm sorry we only go up to 72 on Chevelles".

How I came to own the 73 was, it was my first car when I was 15, back in 1980. I detassled corn when I was 13 and 14, saved up $375, and bought a brown own, with a torn tan top. I remember going to school, and writing down what all I was going to do to that car. Of course, I never did, and sold it.

almost 30 years pass, and I have no idea why, but I got a "wild-hair" to go back and find me a car like my first one. It took me 8 months, but I did ! And then, let the insanity of restoration begin. I remember early on, I was looking for a little chrome trim piece that ran along the bottom. I was so happy to find one in Wisconsin at a junk yard. Then he told he me he wanted $400. I remember saying, "are you on drugs?" . He calmly told me this was a rare hard to find piece. I have learned to be a little nicer along the way....lol

I am actually having a lot of fun restoring this car. It has been such a challenge, and when you find something, it is a small victory. I live in Indiana, and I have only seen one 73 driving around, and that was a 4 door. These are so rare, and I have people stop me, to ask me about my car. I also get a lot of thumbs up from people as I'm going down the road.

Right now, I have a 350 in it, that I strokered, so it has some serious horsepower !

I look forward to meeting alot of you over the coming months, and driving my car to some of your shows, and we can share "war stories" !

[img]hello 73-77 owners 73_che11[/img]hello 73-77 owners 73_che11
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

hello 73-77 owners Empty Re: hello 73-77 owners

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Welcome! That is a sharp ride!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

hello 73-77 owners Empty re: reply

Post by alleyball4 Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 pm

thanks, it's a work in progress. will post more pictures when I figure out how the site works...lol

should be done with my car by next summer....spent way too much money ! It looks like you've got some good rides youself.
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks. The Monte is original, un restored, 69,000 miles, numbers match, original paint. The 48 Plymouth is totally un restored as well with 32,000 documented miles. I inherited it from my grandpa(he bought it in 2006). I had a 74 Chevelle Malibu, but it got stolen. that's when I got the Monte.

See for more:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/KylesMalibu

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Welcome to the site! Which part if Indiana do you live in?
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Welcome AlleyBall4. Sharp car. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Yea, Welcome, hope you enjoy the site.
-Lars
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Glad to see you found this site! It will be an invaluable tool for parts, info, and ppl who appreciate your ride. Nice car! Let your needs be known!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:56 pm

AND POST MORE PICS!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm

How-D.

I did the same, got my first car 74 Chevelle in 1980, and just got its clone.

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 am

Very very nice lookin car!!
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:15 am

very sharp Looking ride for sure

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 am

IndyG3 wrote:Welcome to the site! Which part if Indiana do you live in?
Thanks everyone, wow, there's alot of you out there !
Kyle, in Michigan, your Grandpa blessed handing down the 48 Plymouth...I'm sure you will take special care of it !
and Bill, thank you for your service to our country by putting your life on the line for our freedom, I don't take that lightly.
HDhugger, I will post more pictures. I wrestled on the paint with what I was going to do. Do I want to go with the striping with a stock color, or be my own man. My son is an artist, paint student, etc (age 19) ...and he recommended I go with a black cherry pearl, and in his words, "it will make the chrome pop" ... I wanted to do the silver with black striping. I went with my boy's idea....it's different, but people seem to love it...even my brother friends in the hood...lol. I see you are from Wisconsin, I spent a lot of time in Stevens Point on business. Try the burgers at Joe's Pub, and stay away from the strong drink they invented called Nectar of the Gods! luckily I am a non-drinker, but the group I was with wasn't...some crazy cheese-heading going on !
Indy G3, I live just west of Indy about 20 minutes....Go Colts !! haha There is a guy in Plainfield that is doing a frame off on a 73 SS, that is absolutely beautiful....He's already spent 20k, and he's still going !
Lars, 15 with a Chevelle, we got a lot in common dude...don't sell it like I did !!
JB, sorry I can't resist, I see you are from KY....do you wear shoes when you're driving that ride? I pass through Louisville, and Lexington quite often....anywhere near you?
Laguna Budman, tell me about that engine in the picture, you've got some bucks wrapped up, and it looks sweet !
Limey Deuce, thanks for the welcome...you're not too far away.
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 am

very nice car welcome to g3gm

hello 73-77 owners SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 am

When you say west of Indy, where exactly are you? My dad lives in Clermont on the edge of Avon, so he's a little west of Indiana as well. Maybe I've seen you before??? Hard telling...

I haven't heard about anyone in Plainfield doing a restoration on a '73. Sounds like it's gonna be good!

I think I've actually seen a couple of G3's driving around. I might have seen that 4-door you mentioned, or another one similar to it. There's also a black '74 that's set up for bracket racing at ORP. They're definitely out there, you just gotta know where to look! Cool
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:05 am

I have been looking at 73 Chevelle's since 1980, and they are are scarce. I can spot one a mile away. I can track their scent like a polar bear. There was a guy that had a red one with a black vinyl top in Franklin, it was nice, but he lost his job, and had to sell it. If I remember right, that 4 door was that greenish color. I really need to go to the website and learn the proper color names. (I just thought most of the original colors weren't attractive...my brown own one, looked like a giant tootsie roll !)
I live 5 miles further west in Brownsburg. I'm 4 miles from Raceway Park.
My car is almost 500hp right now, so it is far from stock. I like to surprise the young kids then they try to blow the old man away in their little 4 cylinders....SURPRISE ! lol
When I bought it, my Chevy 10-bolt had a 3.08 non-posi rear end. It now has a 3.42 posi. It also had an automatic. And I am now in the process of converting it over to my Muncie 4 speed. It's quite a job, and not cheap.
Also, my carburetor is too small, it's a Holley 600, but the funds are a little low right now, but I have the Edelbrock 750, on hold until after Christmas :-)

Where are you?
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 am

Welcome to a nice place. Lots of good folks here. That Chevelle sure looks great, and even better in black!
I had a '73 Chevelle, and a '73 El Camino at the same time, and currently have a '74 Malibu and a '75 El camino project.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:01 am

alleyball4 wrote:It is awesome to know I am not alone out here. I bought a 73 Chevelle, and ran into dead-ends on parts and information on so many things ! I got so sick of hearing the phrase, "I'm sorry we only go up to 72 on Chevelles".

How I came to own the 73 was, it was my first car when I was 15, back in 1980. I detassled corn when I was 13 and 14, saved up $375, and bought a brown own, with a torn tan top. I remember going to school, and writing down what all I was going to do to that car. Of course, I never did, and sold it.

almost 30 years pass, and I have no idea why, but I got a "wild-hair" to go back and find me a car like my first one. It took me 8 months, but I did ! And then, let the insanity of restoration begin. I remember early on, I was looking for a little chrome trim piece that ran along the bottom. I was so happy to find one in Wisconsin at a junk yard. Then he told he me he wanted $400. I remember saying, "are you on drugs?" . He calmly told me this was a rare hard to find piece. I have learned to be a little nicer along the way....lol

I am actually having a lot of fun restoring this car. It has been such a challenge, and when you find something, it is a small victory. I live in Indiana, and I have only seen one 73 driving around, and that was a 4 door. These are so rare, and I have people stop me, to ask me about my car. I also get a lot of thumbs up from people as I'm going down the road.

Right now, I have a 350 in it, that I strokered, so it has some serious horsepower !

I look forward to meeting alot of you over the coming months, and driving my car to some of your shows, and we can share "war stories" !

[img]hello 73-77 owners 73_che11[/img]hello 73-77 owners 73_che11
Looks very similar to how my 74 used to look!!

hello 73-77 owners Still_10
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 am

Howdy neighbor, and welcome to G3GM.
Love the car, and agree we need to see more pics of it...

Now that you have found us, your restoration needs will be easier to accomplish. Limey has roughly 46 G3 cars in and around his basement, attic and yard. Legend has it that he could build 2 Montes, six Chevelles, a Buick and 4 El Caminos from the parts in his bedroom closet.

Rest assured you have found some people who share your masochistic need to dig thru junkyards for $400 trim pieces.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:51 am

alleyball4 wrote:Where are you?

I used to live with my dad over in Clermont, which is about 5 minutes away from Brownsburg. If you ever go downtown through Brownsburg's main street you pass right through the place. I currently live out near Zionsville, but I tend to hang out on the west side almost daily between classes and going to my dad's to do car work. I don't really have any space at my place to do any Chevelle work, but I've got about 3 other cars to screw around with Blow Up
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am

Hey buddy! Glad to see that you finally decided to sign up. Have you found a seat yet?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Howdy neighbor, and welcome to G3GM.
Legend has it that he could build 2 Montes, six Chevelles, a Buick and 4 El Caminos from the parts in his bedroom closet..

SORRY down to one monte and one cutlass to build some legends just dont Die but its coming close

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by badtemper44 Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Welcome Aboard! Sweet looking ride!
badtemper44
badtemper44
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

hello 73-77 owners Empty reply

Post by alleyball4 Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Rago, wow...you have a good memory. Originally, I was going to go with the bench seat in the front, so when my wife and I went to shows, we could sit close, just like we did when we were dating. Then I realized after this car project, that she doesn't really like me like much right now...so it's back to the swivel buckets ! lol

Road Captain S3, I'm still figuring the site out. I think I posted some more pictures. I'm in the middle of changing carburetors, and when I get that done, I will post one of the engine. I spent a lot of money on the engine, and it's chromed mostly. About 6 months after my restoration, I realized I screwed up by giving my old original cowl, smog pump, and original orange valve covers, etc.... Crying or Very sad

Malicruiser, a motorhead buddy of mine, recently moved pretty close to you. If you ever need help with any engine stuff, or need someone to discuss engine questions, let me know...I can get you his number.

Badtemper, thanks for the comments,

and Limey, I had no idea you had such a big collection of parts, and that you sleep right next to them! lol
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:05 pm

well I sleep above them now since I have a bigger house they are in basement now

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next