G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy from Texas

+5
JB2wheeler
The Dude
1973 454 MONTE
badbiscayne66
Limey SE
9 posters

Go down

New guy from Texas Empty New guy from Texas

Post by Blue442 Tue May 11, 2010 12:25 am

I've lurked for a long time and finally decided to register. I have a 77 Olds 442. It was originally a dark blue with white interior and a 350 motor. The car is a 1 owner car. It's still in my mother's name so it's still true. My mother special ordered the car from a dealership in Fort Worth (Ryan Olds I think). I was given the car when i turned 16 and I drove it through High School. Once I got a job I did a little work on the car and parked it. I had the motor rebuilt and added a cam from Mondello and headers. Once I got a new car the 442 was put on the back burner where it's sat ever since. I probably have 40 or 50 miles on the rebuilt motor. I've been wanting to get back into working on the car and I'm just trying to come up with a plan.

I've toyed with the idea of replacing the 350 with an LSx motor. I've also thought about fuel injecting the 350 or getting a 455 and fuel injecting it. I was told it's more trouble than it's worth but I've read it works well so I'm not sure what to believe. I'm thinking of going with a pro-touring style. I've had several tell me to use an Olds motor and keep it all original but that's just not really my style.

Blue442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

New guy from Texas Empty Re: New guy from Texas

Post by Limey SE Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 am

Welcome Aboard blue442 there is a few people that have done that swap for the LS based motor with great result here on the Forum

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 am

Hey! Welcome. Finally a G3 owner that lives within 50 miles! Nice goals for you Olds. For the engine swap I suggest going LSX, carbed makes for a much easier swap and cheaper. Plus you get about 425-450hp with VERY little mods, I'm getting around 17mpg average with a TH350 trans (still gathering the parts for a T56 swap), and if you shop around like I did you can do it for almost cheaper than a comparabley powerful 455, $4500 total invested into my swap! Since we live in Texas finding a good low mileage 6.0L Vortec cheap is pretty easy, I picked mine up for $900 complete with 54K miles on it just on the north end of Fort Worth. A carb conversion and thumpr cam swapped in and Booyaa! The only problem I ran into in my swap were with engine mount adapters (too far forward), and the oil pan (the very front was hitting crossmember). And I found good ways to fix both. I fixed the adapters by welding (be sure to have a reputable welder do this properly so the welds don't break under load) the original upper engine mount to the adapter plates, now it just falls ringt into place and bolts right up! Next I simply bought a Moroso Street/Strip LS oil pan ($275 from Summit!) the sloped front to helped oil drain back and better clearance. You will need to by a remote oil filter kit for this pan but they're pretty inexpensive, mine was $54 from summit. There you have it! Plus I'm making my 74 into a corner carver as well, these cars just beg to be thrown through some twisties! Although with my car peeling clear coat Like a red head after a really bad sunburn, it's starting to look more like the Monte Carlo from the beginning of Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. lol!
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 am

Welcome. good to see another Olds.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 am

Welcome Blue442. Sounds like you have a real treasure there. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am

Woot woot! Looks like more of the Oldsmobile guys are finally starting to come around! Welcome to the forum. Very Happy

Now where's all of the Pontiac & Buicks lurking at?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue442 Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 am

Malicruiser I have a lot of questions to ask you. My plan was to use a carb intake with a 4 barrel TB and have the injector bungs welded on. I figure I could run a MSD box to run the ignition or get a computer from another car. I know about the LSx motors since that's what my TA has. I already have the valve covers for it too.

Blue442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 pm

bad sunburn, it's starting to look more like the Monte Carlo from the beginning of Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. lol![/quote]

I love that car!!!
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

badbiscayne66 wrote:bad sunburn, it's starting to look more like the Monte Carlo from the beginning of Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. lol!

I love that car!!![/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6VOZpMtkE&feature=related

The Monte Carlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3pybCNGLOo

Last edited by 1973 454 MONTE on Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Welcome aboard Blue442. you have come to the right place.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 am

Blue442 wrote:Malicruiser I have a lot of questions to ask you. My plan was to use a carb intake with a 4 barrel TB and have the injector bungs welded on. I figure I could run a MSD box to run the ignition or get a computer from another car. I know about the LSx motors since that's what my TA has. I already have the valve covers for it too.
You can order the intake and MSD box as a package from summit like I did, it's usually cheaper to order from summit than strait from the maker. If your going injected then get the box separate and get the carbed intake from GM Performance Parts (GMPP), they already have injector bungs if memory serves me right. If you planning to order the GMPP LSX Iron block, unless your planning to go full on race built or big cubes (454-505) then my suggestion is to just pick up a 6.0L salvage motor. The factory iron block already has a great oiling system for performance engines. So good in fact that the priority main oiling isn't going to do you much better unless, again, your doing a really high horse racing engine. As for heads, LOL, believe it or not you should use ported 6.0L heads not L92 heads (ported or not). They flow almost as much on the intake side, and way out flow on the exhaust side! Not to mention intakes are much cheaper. Sorry for going on so much! Laughing It's kind of a curse. What are your engine plans by the way? I sort of got lost typing. Embarassed
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu May 13, 2010 12:43 am

badbiscayne66 wrote:bad sunburn, it's starting to look more like the Monte Carlo from the beginning of Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. lol!
badbiscayne66 wrote:I love that car!!!
Well I've been thinking about building my car in just the same as the Monte, aluminum panels, cage (tucked right against the body), and just let this paint keep going. At least until I've finished the drivetrain and fine tuned it. Wich we all know is going to take some time. Then I'll just make new aluminum panels that cover the cage and have them apholstered, and paint paint it. I'm thinking about seeing if Basset can make me a set of 17" Nascar steel wheels, 17"x10" front and 17"x12" rear, that way I can have the nascar look that belongs on this car but also be able to fit better brakes for road coarses. Plus I think it would look just flat out sick! Cool
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu May 13, 2010 12:49 am

Blue442 wrote:Malicruiser I have a lot of questions to ask you. My plan was to use a carb intake with a 4 barrel TB and have the injector bungs welded on. I figure I could run a MSD box to run the ignition or get a computer from another car. I know about the LSx motors since that's what my TA has. I already have the valve covers for it too.
Ask away! Anything I can do to help don't be afraid to ask. He'll I'll even drive to your place and help you do the swap. Thumbs up
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu May 13, 2010 10:29 am

1973 454 MONTE wrote:

I love that car!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6VOZpMtkE&feature=related

The Monte Carlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3pybCNGLOo[/quote]

That race, like everything in F&F makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu May 13, 2010 3:19 pm

When you have a car that fast, many times its the driver that makes all the differance in how fast the car is. I've always been a lousy driver and mechanic. Thats the reason my dad always beat me on the drag strip when we both were running. He drove Chevys and I drove Fords. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu May 13, 2010 3:47 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:When you have a car that fast, many times its the driver that makes all the differance in how fast the car is. I've always been a lousy driver and mechanic. Thats the reason my dad always beat me on the drag strip when we both were running. He drove Chevys and I drove Fords. JB
Lol. try being in my position. I actually have some decent talent behind the wheel at a road coarse, but I can never get out to a track to hone my skills (you know, life just gets in the way). Plus I don't really know any decent road coarses around this part of Texas, and the ones I've seen aren't much bigger than an autocross coarse. LOL.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Malicruiser wrote:
JB2wheeler wrote:When you have a car that fast, many times its the driver that makes all the differance in how fast the car is. I've always been a lousy driver and mechanic. Thats the reason my dad always beat me on the drag strip when we both were running. He drove Chevys and I drove Fords. JB
Lol. try being in my position. I actually have some decent talent behind the wheel at a road coarse, but I can never get out to a track to hone my skills (you know, life just gets in the way). Plus I don't really know any decent road coarses around this part of Texas, and the ones I've seen aren't much bigger than an autocross coarse. LOL.

Don't believe for one second ol'JB wasn't fast, he's probably setting you up to take all of your money sometime Laughing
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 pm

"He drove Chevys and I drove Fords. JB"

Are you sure it was your skills, JB?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue442 Fri May 14, 2010 12:34 am

Malicruiser wrote:
Ask away! Anything I can do to help don't be afraid to ask. He'll I'll even drive to your place and help you do the swap. Thumbs up

I really haven't given the motor a lot of thought yet. I have a lot of work ahead of me and the motor is further down on the list. I was thinking of using a used LQ4 or maybe a used LS1. I've seen some awesome deals on some long blocks too. I was thinking of getting a harness and computer from MAST since they are local. I will probably run a 200r4 or a 700r4

For now I'm going to work on the frame and suspension/brakes. I think I'm going to run a Kore3 brake kit. The suspension will probably be DSE parts for the most part. Once I find out some spring rates from different companies I'll decide on the drop springs.

Blue442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 am

Your thinking of going pro touring right? I tend to lean to iron blocks just because of the long life the block has, can be bored much more than LS aluminum block, but at the cost of weighing more. If you use fiberglass panels from US Body Source you can cut your weight greatly, at the cost of some streetability though, or just hood, fenders, and trunk lid will still drop a decent amount of weight. DSE is a great choice for the control arms and trailing arm, have you thought of teaming that up with QA1 coil over kits for front and rear. The front ones bolt right in and the back one require some welding but very little, that should give you great tunability and ride height adjustability at a fair price. As for the harness you might want to get the GMPP LS controller kit, it come with every thing you need to wire up your LS into classice cars i.e. cars with non-computer controlled transmisions like the 2004r & 700r4, even comes with the proper gas pedal for the LS2 flybywire throttle bodys. Just add your intake to the long block and wire it up with the kit. KORE3.... Thumbs up Great choice my friend. What size wheels you plan on running, tires, rear gear, steering upgrades? I know it's a lot to ask about, but having those components upgraded to work with your currently planned upgrades will make a world of difference on how your car performs all around.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 am

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
Malicruiser wrote:

Don't believe for one second ol'JB wasn't fast, he's probably setting you up to take all of your money sometime Laughing
Oh trust me I know how you guys work! You forget that I've grown up surounded by guys like JB, notice I didn't try to challenge him or his skills!
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down