G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands

+16
76Chevelle2Tone
zucchi
bucket
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Limey SE
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
ant7377
73ss
Joe73
bigredlaguna
thatfnthing
Mcarlo77
77camino
fasrnur
Zaptiah
S3SS
20 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 Empty Re: Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands

Post by zucchi Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:24 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:How deeply can the conversion process with the rust layer go; or alternatively, what is the maximum thickness of the rust layer that is fully convertible through surface application?  
The reaction slows considerably as the phosphate layer builds. If the area being treated has deep pits, it will require reapplication (perhaps several) and more time to penetrate. Naval jelly is more suitable to treat areas like that because it is gelatinous and can be applied in a thick layer.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 Empty Re: Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:37 pm

Just talked with Eastwood again and They told me yes you do have to use water ONLY after the 48 Hour curing process Like dawn dish soap Hot water or a good wax grease remover.

If you do it before the Curing process is done you will have to it over, They did strongly suggest I wire brush it first then go to an180 at the absolute lowest grit and possibly even 220 to get rest of stuff that's loosened by wire brush completely gone.
Then wax grease remover again before applying the convertor but so far I have followed the process exactly like they would have suggested so that's good I guess

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Also suggested two Coats if at all possible esp on roof so if any pits soak it in the rest of surface rust has a chance to soak that second coat in

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:55 pm

Thanks all for the more complete info. Very useful for others too and perhaps these posts should be stickied somewhere.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:18 pm

Updating: PATINA REMOVAL ITS EVEN MORE BLACKISH NOW ITS DRYONG UP MORE than in pictures 

Eastwoods recommendations worked perfect other that having to use 120 grit instead of 180 now just has to cure for 48 hours so Saturday will be ready for the rest of the treatment primer filler sand smooth then Sealer and that area will be ready for paint when get rest of SE done and ready for paint.
Now next agenda get old dash out and put new Black dash in and start the Dakota Digital wiring process, OH WHAT A NIGHTMARE WIRING ARRRRGGGG anyways get that in and hook transmission module up to dash and finish the wiring and Hopefully just hopefully Before we Leave Illinois I can leave a smokeshow at end of driveway LMAO TO TELL ILLINOIS TO KISS MY FAT WHITE BEJIND

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240728
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240729
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240727Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240731
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240730

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:10 am

Well dang, I had a nice detailed post all typed up, but it didn't post.

But in short, sand the metal well first, then apply the rust converter. Once cured, sand the surface again, exposing as much clean metal as possible. Then prime.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:32 am

bucket wrote:Well dang, I had a nice detailed post all typed up, but it didn't post.

But in short, sand the metal well first, then apply the rust converter. Once cured, sand the surface again, exposing as much clean metal as possible. Then prime.

Yeah understandable..... wire brushed it, tried the recommended 180 soon found out NOPE went to 120 and worked great sanded before second coat and then wax grease remover and Sprayed two additional coats ( between second and third coat I sanded with 220 though) and you can see end result .... NOW the wait is on for 48 hours I can prime / seal it tomorrow .... Dash is coming out for the replacement today

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:51 am

Sorry for cufusion only Have three good coats on there and Two were done with sanding between coats

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:51 pm

I'd recommend sanding that last coat too, exposing as much good clean metal as you can. The converter will stay where the minor pits are all over the place. The clean metal will be a better surface for the primer to adhere to, compared to the coating of rust converter.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:24 pm

bucket wrote:I'd recommend sanding that last coat too, exposing as much good clean metal as you can. The converter will stay where the minor pits are all over the place. The clean metal will be a better surface for the primer to adhere to, compared to the coating of rust converter.

Yup that's the plan Afte we I rinse it tomorrow has to cure for 48 hours then gonna let the Sun air dry the booger out then prime it has to sit for 12 hours after that then Sunday I making sure it's smooth before sealing it up

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:47 am

I cried a little bit today, I took roof stripes off to start prepping for priming sealing after I rust converted it, took more time to get the glue residue off than the stripes did

Well 2 coats primer later looks more like a car instead of rust bucket still a rust bucket but starting to come together Stripes on roof are now a Memory 
FOR NOW I HAVE SOMETHING LINED UP those who know, Know. I have sealer to put once I work the dents and pits on trunk lid hopefully rain holds off tomorrow so can sand smooth after fixing dents and get it sealed up

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240811
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240810Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240813
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240812Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240816
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240815
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240814
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 920c2911
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240817

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:05 pm

It was Dusk when I finally got the roof and I ran out of Good light to spray, I see I missed a little in the center of the roof on second coat of primer good enough to sand and see where the dents are to fix though I only went down far enuf for the primer to where I rust converted the pass side Quarter still needs R/R so didn't do all the way down Drive side I wanted to get what I needed done, I have one hole needing repair right by Opera window on drivers side yet So didn't do there either Plus I may need that for a stripe template yet I AM NOT SURE

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:08 pm

New Windshield is FINALLY in took long enough but starting to look like a Car again Finally yayyyyyy

Maybe Tomorrow Sunday September 1st will try and tie up hood if we get done in enough time for daughters shocks for her truck... all that's left is to panel bond it on, remove screws and body work it onto hood

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240834

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240832

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240833

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240835
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240837
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240836

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

jpowen49 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:03 pm

Well Dash is swapped and bolted in Just need to pull interior and carpet out so I can remove the mouse house headliner and install the used one I have what a mess that was Every screw I removed it just started to crumble in my hands jeez Louise anyways.... It's out now and Just need to do the headliner then Wire the Dakota Dash then Finally onto the 454 I HATE WIRING WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER?  LOL

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240910
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240911
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 Messen17Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240912
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240914
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240913Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240916
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240915
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240917

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:08 pm

Console now Black to help tie seats to dash more Getting closer and closer tomorrow is headliner 

Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240919
Rusty's progress New dash is in and HOLY MOLY old on crumbled in my hands - Page 13 20240918

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13